- Funded by U.S. Department of Energy, American Recovery and Reinvestment Act grant and private-public partners
- Existing structure stands at 82,264 square feet on 6.3 acres and features a 48-foot clearance
- Built in 1942, modified in 1985 and decommissioned in 1995
- Formerly main warehouse for U.S. Navy non-hazardous materials
- The 7.5 MW foundation was completed in the fall of 2012 within the older part of the building. The foundations for the new section of the building were completed toward the end of 2012. Operation of the 7.5 MW system is planned for mid-year 2013.
Specimen is 26 feet in diameter and weighs 150 tons with off-axis and bending moment static load applicator capable of reproducing forces seen in real-world conditions.
Duke Energy eGRID (Electrical Grid Research Innovation and Development)
- will allow for testing of the wind turbine generators compatibility to 50 or 60 Hz electrical transmission grids. This is important to ensure the wind turbines have minimal impact to the existing grid as well as grid disturbances having minimal impact on the machines.
- The pile driving and the digging out of the foundation pit for 15 MW was started toward the end of 2012. Upon completion of the 15 MW foundation pit, erection of the new building steel was initiated and was then completed by late 2012. Operation of the 15 MW system is scheduled for winter 2013-2014 completion.
Specimen is 43 feet in diameter and weighs 400 tons with dynamic off-axis and bending moment load applicator capable of reproducing forces seen in real-world conditions.